

Beyond the advertising of a relaxing trip for the surgical procedure, I was interested in the former patients’ testimonials from their personal experiences. Combined with the video seen in Wednesday’s class and a youtube clip (see web address below), I began to work through the different aspects of transitioning. The in-class video was an interesting compilation of personal experiences with sex change. One quote that stood out to me from one person was her description of how she felt after having the change. She explained that she was “finally free to be myself.” At that moment, I was happy for her in that she was able to find herself and feel like an acceptable person to society. Looking further at the websites, I found another quote about Dr. Sanguan telling patients he would “make them whole” and the patient replied, “Whole and wonderful I am. A physically complete self!” She felt like a real, ‘whole’ person instead of someone stuck in a foreign body. After hearing these words of satisfaction, I realized that the surgery is life changing and can boost the overall quality of someone’s life.


However, as I continued looking through more information about the topic, I started to see another side to transitioning. One woman from the video stated that she thought her parents would “be more accepting of me if I were a murderer rather than a transgender person.” To go along with this new side, I found a video on youtube from CBS news about a potential law that prevents transgender teachers from being fired through discrimination. 38 states in America currently allow transgender teachers to be terminated simply because they are transgender. One of the ladies chosen to debate the topic explained her side of the story that matches many Americans’ opinions. According to her views, we would be putting children in harm’s way by allowing transgender men and women to teach. “Children need a safe environment in which to learn. The APA (American Psychological Association) says that gender identity is a mental disorder. Why are we giving our school children over to people with a serious mental disorder?” she continued. I was disheartened after these viewpoints on transitioning. I began to wonder if the women who were finally free to feel like their true selves could honestly feel that way. How can anyone fully be satisfied with himself or herself when society is throwing these negative comments and opposing views at their feet? How secure can they feel with their new bodies when all they hear from others is that it’s ‘wrong’ to make the change? I find it difficult to listen to both sides and expect transgender people to be fully happy and self-confident with their choice to transition. Society’s influence continues to leave a mark on all controversial issues (transgender, homosexuality, race, gender, religion, etc.). Can anyone in America feel fully comfortable with himself or herself when it seems that everything out of the “norm” is incorrect? Does anyone fit into the label of an ‘average American’? I’m beginning to wonder if any of us are acceptable to America’s societal viewpoints.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ib9aFClNA

No comments:
Post a Comment